Thursday, February 22, 2007

Challa

I use a recipe from a book of recipes collected from bed and breakfasts around the U.S.: Best Recipes From American Country Inns and Bed and Breakfasts by Kitty and Lucian Maynard

1/4 oz. yeast packet
2 cups warm water
2 eggs
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp. milk
2 tbsp. honey
1/8 c. sugar
1 tbsp. salt
1/2 c. canola oil
7 C flour

In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together 1/2 c. water and the honey - let it sit for a few minutes if you have time -

-Combine all other ingredients except one egg and the poppy seeds in the mixer bowl
-Knead with dough hook attachment for 10 minutes (or by hand for 15 minutes)
-Cover and let rise to double - I put the covered bowl on a radiator for about 40 minutes
-Punch the risen dough down and divide it into 6 equal pieces - (to make two loaves)
-Roll the pieces into a long ropes - I make them as long as the cookie sheet I will use to cook the bread
-Braid the ropes - Pull each strand back over the previous one to keep the braids tight -
-Flatten the ends and tuck them under the loaf.
- Cover and let rise to double again
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- I have a pizza stone in my oven, I think that helps.
- before baking, beat the remaining egg and brush the beaten egg on the loaves
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 35 - 40 minutes. I found that after 35 minutes, the center was still doughy.

This recipe makes two loaves - they freeze well if they are well wrapped.
I have used the challa for excellent hamburger buns and french toast - for the french toast, I took a 8" piece of the loaf, poked a hole through the middle of it with a chef's knife (very carefully from each end) and then stuffed it full of pineapple chunks. I set the stuffed loaf in the and egg mix, turning several times, for 20 minutes before slicing into slices for french toast. I let the slices soak for several minutes before cooking in a skillet.

No comments: