Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Salmon with Avocado dip

Here is the recipe I am trying tonight: (From allrecipes.com)

INGREDIENTS
* 2 avocados - peeled, pitted and diced (I used 1)
* 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced (I used 1)
* 3 tablespoons Greek-style yogurt (I used a bit less and used plain yogurt)
* 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (I used the juice from half a lemon - it was probably too much - the dip was good, but fairly lemony))
* salt and pepper to taste
* 2 pounds salmon steaks (I used two fillets - about 6 oz. each - I defrosted them for about 20 hours and I think that made a difference in the texture rather than trying to getntly nuke them just before cooking)
* 2 teaspoons dried dill weed
* 2 teaspoons lemon pepper (I used Penzey's lemon garlic grilling mix - becuause I had some)
* salt to taste

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil grate.
2. In a medium bowl, mash together avocados, garlic, yogurt, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Rub salmon with dill, lemon pepper, and salt. (I also coated the seasond fish with olive oil) Place on the prepared grill, and cook 15 minutes, turning once, (I broiled instead of grilling) until easily flaked with a fork. Serve with the avocado mixture.

(Added later)

This was very good - though I made it somewhat differently from the recipe above. I broiled the salmon rather than grilling, and, I thought I was going to bake it first so I had the oven pre-heated to 425 - so I guess I broil-baked it. The broililng gave the top nice color and made it a bit csispy. Also, I messed with the ingrediants as indicated in edits to the recipe above.

The dip was similar to guacamole (What do you expect when the main ingrediant is mashed up avocado) - but different enough that it stands on its own. It was very good on the salmon.

No comments: